Starting the Chidori Score

Hello! I am pretty excited to say that I am starting to write the Chidori full orchestra score. I've talked to Robin about it last Thursday during the weekly rehearsal. It's not 100% confirmed but at least there might be a chance that the piece will be performed.

I've also been looking into some information about video games audio implementation and borrowed some books from the library. Even though DirectAudio is not as prominent as it was few years back, there are still some interesting points that are relevant to my studies.

About the song, The Glass Tomb, I did not realize how bad the mix was when I was mixing with my headphones back in Malaysia. Now, with my monitors, it sounded so confined and unbalanced. The bass frequencies were low and the mid does not have enough volume. It really shows that the headphones has a lot of boost in certain frequencies. I've decided not to trust my headphones anymore but only for checking and casual listening.

We've been learning about electronic music in the class. The one that really stood out was the Manifesto of Futurist Musicians. The extreme views and requirements were actually quite understandable, even though at first it sounded outrageous. One thing though, we should never forget our roots in music. It is because of the constant evolution and development from the ancient times that we are where we are today.
Another point was noteworthy. The introduction of machines influenced the creation and growth of music because people's ears get used to the sounds which were not born into the world before that. So musicians seek a different way to stimuli the ears and emotions of the audience.

Which brings me to conclude that we, in this day and age, tend to listen to louder music than people back in the days. The size of orchestra is bigger and the speakers play louder. Young people like to go clubbing listening to deafeningly loud (at least to me) music to stimulate and elevate their emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment